Pages

Thursday 9 October 2014

A Parent Request

Last evening on my way home I was stopped by a parent in the car park requesting me to repeat one of my iPad sessions to parents on the use of iPad at Home and at School that I had held earlier this year. She mentioned that many new parents had been for the Lower School Internet safety talk and were now concerned about the use of iPads in middle and high school. She said if I organised a session like last year it would elevate their fears and give them confidence in how we were using the iPads in school.


Last year I held a Parent forum on iPads where I showed parents how the iPad was used in a classroom environment, procedures the school have in place such as Internet filtering, our Casper management system and most importantly the use of the iPad at home and dealing with situations such as when your child tells you that they have homework all evening on the iPad.


A big success at the presentation was that I got about 12 students from different grades to demonstrate various apps that they were using and explain to parents how it had transformed their learning, organisation and presentation skills. Parents were amazed to see students using apps such as iMovie, Keynote, Pages, Popplet, Book Creator, Notability, Explain Everything amongst others rather than PowerPoint which was traditionally used.

Students also explained how these apps were being used in different subjects such as Maths, Science, English, Languages, PE and Humanities. It made me very proud at the end of the session to think of the progress we had made in so little time. This would not be possible without the support from staff and the students. A big thank you to you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment